Ambassador (Dr.) Hassan Adamu CON often referred to as Wakili was born in Yola, Adamawa State of Nigeria, Educated in Nigeria and United Kingdom, he is a graduate of Economics, and did had a Post Graduate Diploma in Transport Studies at University of London. He had taken very prominent roles in both the Nigerian business scene as well as public assignments.
Within the Nigerian business sector, Hassan Adamu occupied the positions of Chairman of NAFCON, NICON, NRIC, and Hedejia Jama’are River Basin Development Authority. He also served as Director in Cadbury, Lever Brothers and Wiggins Teape, NEXIM Bank, NAL Merchant Bank and Society Bancaire.
He was elected President Manufactures Association of Nigeria (MAN) and held office for seven years, making him the second longest serving President of MAN after Chief Odutola.
He also founded and served as Chairman of the following companies:
- Nigeria Industrial Complex Limited;
- Bagale Motels;
- Niger Brass Shipping Line;
- Bulkship Nigeria Limited;
- A.N. Agency Limited;
- Frenchies Nig. Limited.
He was also the Chairman, Board of Nigeria Deposit Insurance Corporation (NDIC).
His public assignments include:
- Secretary for Power and Steel (Ministerial position),
- First Minister of Environment
- Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development,
- Nigerian Ambassador to United States of America (USA) a
- Accredited to the Commonwealth of the Bahamas as Nigerian High Commissioner.
He was a recipient of many Honorary Doctoral Degrees, including:
- LLD, Ahmadu Bello University;
- DSC Dan Fodio University;
- LLD Clark Atlanta University U.S.A.
- Doctor of Environmental Science BABCOCK University, Ogun State;
- DSC NOVENA University, Delta State.
He was conferred with National Honour of the COMMANDER OF THE ORDER OF THE NIGER (CON). He is now the current Chancellor of Enugu State University of Technology (ESUT), Enugu.
Ambassador Adamu was a delegate at the 2005 National Political Reform Conference as well as the 2014 National Conference.