Professor Akin Oyebode was born in Ado-Ekiti of Ikole-Ekiti extraction on December 9, 1947. He attended Christ’s School, Ado-Ekiti for both his secondary and Higher School Certificate education before proceeding to the Kiev State University, Ukraine on a Federal Government scholarship in 1967 to study International Law.
After obtaining the LL.M. with the highest distinction, he returned to the country in 1973 and joined University of Lagos as an Assistant Lecturer. In 1974, he was admitted to the Harvard Law School, Cambridge, Massachusetts, obtaining another LL.M. in 1975. He subsequently went to the Osgoode Hall Law School, York University, Toronto, Canada, earning the Doctor of Jurisprudence (D.Jur.) in 1988, having specialised on the Law of Treaties.
In 1991, he was appointed Professor of Law and founding Dean of the Faculty of Law of the then Ondo State University, a position he held until 1997 when he returned to the University of Lagos. Two years later, he was invited back to be pioneer Vice-Chancellor of the University of Ado-Ekiti. Upon completion of his term in 2004, he once again returned to the University of Lagos, where he has been occupying the Chair of International Law and Jurisprudence. He is also Chairman of the University’s Office of International Relations, Partnerships, and Prospects.
Professor Oyebode has to his credit seven books and monographs and over 200 learned papers.
Professor Oyebode has been, among others:
- He has been an assessor for professorial appointments and external examiner to many universities at home and abroad
- Member of the Board of Directors of the African and African-American Foundation on Science, Education and Economic Development (AFSEED) Inc., New York,
- Centre for Advanced Social Science (CASS), Port Harcourt,
- Chair of the Board of Trustees, Women Advocates Research and Documentation Centre (WARDC),
- Chair, International Advisory Board, Institute of Human Rights and Humanitarian Law,
- Consultant, UN Office for Outer Space Affairs, Vienna,
- Former Chair, Catholic Secretariat Think-Tank, etc.
- Consultant by the African Union (AU) charged with the task of drafting the Convention on Cross-border Cooperation in Africa.
- Fellow and Member of the Governing Council, Nigerian Institute of International Affairs,
- Member, Governing Council, University of Lagos,
- Member, UNESCO List of Mediators and Conciliators
- Member, Board of Trustees, Obafemi Awolowo Centre for Philosophy, Ideology and Good Governance,
- Member, Steering Committee, Ekiti Knowledge Zone (EKZ),
- Member, 2014 National Conference
He has won numerous awards including First Foreign Graduate to be inducted to the Permanent Roll of Honour of Kiev State University, National Association of Democratic Lawyers (NADL) Distinguished Jurist Award, Best Law Lecturer, Final Year Students of the Faculty of Law, University of Lagos (5 years running), outstanding Law Teacher, Justice Chambers, Obafemi Awolowo University, Role Model Award, Leadership Watch, etc.
He is a notable commentator on current affairs and is happily married to a lawyer with three children, two of whom are lawyers.