Professor Bolaji Akinyemi was born on January 4, 1942. He hails from Osun State, South West Nigeria.
He graduated with B.A, (cum laude) from Temple University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S.A. 1964. He had his M.A. (International Affairs) from the The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Tufts University, Massachusetts, U.S.A,. 1965; M. A. (Law and Diplomacy) Fletcher, 1969 and D. Phil. (Oxon) Trinity College, Oxford, 1969.
Professor Akinyemi has held several positions and made lots of career strides, including:
- Deputy Chairman, National Conference, 2014
- Chairman, National Think Tank, Federal Republic of Nigeria, 2007
- Member, Presidential Committee for the Resolution of Conflict in Nigeria (2013)
- Member, Presidential Electoral Reform Committee, Federal Republic of Nigeria (2007 – 2008)
- Minister of External Affairs, Federal Republic of Nigeria (1985 – December 1987)
- Director General, Nigeria Institute of Internal Affairs (NIIA), Lagos (1975 – 1983)
- Life member, Clare Hall, University of Cambridge, England
- Fellow, Centre for International Studies, University of Cambridge, England (1988 – 1990)
- Professor of Political Science, University of Lagos (!983 – 1986)
- Visiting Overseas Scholar, St John’s College, Cambridge, 1984
- Regent’s Lecturer, University of California, Los Angeles, Caiifornia (February 1979)
- Visiting Professor, Diplomacy Training Programme, University of Nairobi, Kenya (1977)
- Visiting Professor Graduate Institute of International Studies, Geneva (1977)
- Visiting Professor in Political Science, Kalamazoo, Michigan, U.S.A (1970)
- Visiting Professor in African Studies, DePauw University, Indiana, U.S.A (1960 -!970)
- Instructor in Politics of Developing Nations, North-Eastern University, Boston, U.S.A., (1965 – 66)
- Lecturer and later Senior Lecturer in Political Science, University of Ibadan, Nigeria (1970 – 1975)
- Held more than 10 international consultancy posts
Published more than 15 books, and 42 articles among others.