Born on November 30, 1945, at Busu in Lavun Local Government Area of Niger State, Professor Jerry Gana obtained the West African School Certificate from Government College, Bida in 1964, and proceeded to Okene Secondary School for the Higher School Certificate from 1965-1966, graduating with the best H.S.C results of 1967, (with A, A, B).
Gana then proceeded to Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, and graduated in 1970 with a B.A. (Hons) degree (Upper Division) in Geography. Thereafter, he proceeded to the University of Aberdeen, Scotland for an M.SC Course in Rural Resources Planning, leading to a Ph.D. in Market Place Systems and Rural Development in 1974. He further obtained a Certificate in Education from the University of London and taught at Ahmadu Bello University from 1974 to 1986, rising to the post of a Professor in 1985.
Prof. Jerry Gana has served the nation as:
- Senator of the Federal Republic;
- Consulting Director of the Directorate of Food, Roads and Rural Infrastructure (DFRRI);
- Chairman of MAMSER;
- Minister of Agriculture and Natural Resources;
- Minister of Information and Culture;
- Minister of Cooperation and Integration in Africa;
- Minister of Information and National Orientation
- Foundation Secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP);
- First Secretary of the Board of Trustees of the PDP;
- Special Adviser to the President on Political Matters
- Chairman of the Middle Belt Forum
- Chairman of the Northern Economic Summit – the G20
- Member of the Presidential Campaign Council for the 2011 Presidential elections.
While serving as a Professor at ABU, Zaria, Prof. Jerry Gana developed and taught courses on:
- Industrial Location;
- Regional Development Strategies;
- Sc Course in Urban and Regional Planning of the Faculty of Environmental Design;
- SC Course in Rural Development, Faculty of Science
- Geopolitics and Strategic Studies at the Command and Staff College, Jaji;
- Guest Lecturer in Strategic Studies at the National Institute of Policy and Strategic Studies (NIPSS, Kuru).
- He also served as External Examiner for several M.A, M.Sc and Ph.D. candidates.
With numerous academic papers and scientific publications, Prof. Jerry Gana is honoured to be:
- Fellow of the Nigerian Economic Society;
- Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society;
- President, Society for International Development (SID), Abuja Chapter;
- Fellow of the Nigerian Institute of Public Relations;
- Doctor of Philosophy, University of Aberdeen, Scotland
- Doctor of Divinity (Honoris Causa), Nigerian Baptist Theological College, Ogbomosho
- Chancellor, University of Mkar; Benue State
- Pro-Chancellor and Chairman of Governing Council of the University of Lagos;
- Pro-Chancellor and Chairman of Governing Council of Kwararafa University, Wukari
- Commander of the Order of the Niger (CON),
- Delegate to the 2014 National Conference.
In the Private Sector Professor Gana is currently:
- Chairman of Supertek Nigeria Limited; with license to generate 1,500MW of Electricity
- Chairman of Supertek Electric Limited; building a new power station at Ajaokuta in Kogi State
- Chairman of Supertek Farms Limited, with 4,000 hectares of farmland at Kudu, Niger State.
- Chairman of ABC Shelters, engaged in housing and property development;
- Chairman, Agrovilla Nigeria Limited; engaged in building garden cities with new building technology.
- Chairman of Living Water Pharmacy Limited, engaged in pharmaceutical industries with Pharmaplan of Germany;
- Director, Golden Sugar Company Limited; a subsidiary of Flour Mills of Nigeria PLC, engaged in raising sugar cane plantations in Niger State, and a sugar refinery at Apapa, Lagos
- Director, Flour Mills of Nigeria Plc
- Chairman, Finetek Industries Ltd in partnership with the Dutch Agricultural Dev. Company Ltd (DATCO)
- Chairman, Midland Agric Land Development Company Ltd
- Chairman, Midland Foods and Commodities Ltd
- Chairman, Super Solar Ltd in partnership with Hybrid Solar Power Generation (Sol-Gen), with a new technology to generate base-load power from solar energy.